Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is bringing an upgraded steering box....Box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P72Ford
    replied
    My car has this mod as well, and its a nice upgrade.

Not sure if anyone else has made custom PS hoses like me (I don't like any sort of leaks).

I made a fitting that goes into the pump (tig welded an AN fitting into the pump fitting), and put AN fittings in the steering box. Parker Store made me matching hoses (high pressure for both the pressurized and return sides).

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    Yeah I hope to use the new rubber on this steering shaft.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    ok, had forgotten what shape the later shaft was. Basically X shaped where the old one is a "Double D" (not that kind you pervs) shape. Well, maybe other options involve being able to retain the new rubber rag joint by only drilling out the 2 fastners that hold it to the lower shaft section and fastening that to the box lower shaft instead of using the repair rag joint.

Leave a comment:

• sly
    replied
    anything can be done... it just depends on how good your adapter fabrication skills are.

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    Well being that the stock one looks like this:

and the 98-02 one looks like this

I don't know if it can be done.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    well there ya go. Would be cool if there was some handy way to use the whole lower shaft vs just chopping it up for one part of the flange. I dont think the slip joints are the same size and shape though.

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    Well I don't have to worry about pulling one now. Mentioned the upgrade to my pops and he said he has a 98-02 steering shaft somewhere. Searched around a bit and what do you know. mmmmm NOS

What are the chances lol.

Appreciate all of the information. next step is getting all of the parts in hand and picking up a union and doing this......

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    a sawzall probably will cut it, but it has a slip joint between the rag joint an the U joint at the brake booster, and you can usually just give it a yank to get the part that is useful for this. The box shaft has a slip joint there too, but I don't think the shafts are the same shape. Can't say I've really looked into it either though.

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    Hmm I see 99 steering shaft on ebay. Only thing it is missing is the pinch bolt at the pump.

I don;t even have to get messy!

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    Now the input shaft is held onto the rest of the steering shaft via rivets at the rag joint. Will sawzall cut through steering shaft? I already purchased new lines (I know I have to adapt them to my system) and the police pump from rock auto. Now all I need is the input shaft. Trying to figure out the quickest way to snatch that.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    buy the box with the arm, remove it later. its a pain in the ass to do when properly equipped and virtually impossible to do otherwise. Definitely watch the mileage on the car. Worn out boxes are useless.

Input shaft is just a bolt you remove, then another bolt further up to get the shaft out.

Return line = low pressure line.

Leave a comment:

• pantera77
    replied
    Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
    I can't really comment on most of your steering box queries, but I can share my recent experience with Pitman arms. It's basically a press fit, but tightening the nut is what does the pressing. In my case, I used a 14" breaker bar with about four feet of cheater bars to loosen and tighten the nut. (I've seen people say the nut is 1 5/16" or 34mm, but mine was actually 33mm.) When tightening, I didn't have a torque wrench that went up to 250ft-lbs or whatever the recommended torque was, but I could feel the Pitman arm bottom out, and applying any more torque would not have done any good. (It's amazing how much strain the steering lock was able to take.)

When I did my research, I didn't see a single account of the Pitman arm being easy to remove. The easiest that I saw was using an impact wrench on a Pitman arm puller and having the Pitman arm pop off with an explosive "bang". To avoid having the arm fly off in such a case, leave the nut on the end of the shaft. One useful tip was grinding away part of the arm near the shaft to loosen the fit, and I had to resort to this since my puller couldn't handle the strain, though I didn't have the benefit of an impact wrench. Grinding is probably the safest way to go, but be careful not to grind into the shaft.

Ya, I certainly wouldn't be trying to pull a pitman arm at a junk yard...

Just leave it on and take it apart at your pleasure.

The HPP box has a 98-02 CVPI box. It's stiff that's for sure. Quite literally a night and day difference from a stock box.

Leave a comment:

• Lincolnmania
    replied
    Originally posted by stinkydogfilms View Post
    What is Nascar steering?
    How is it different from HPP steering?
    Do any, including Redhead have the quick steering ratios?

Excuse me for asking simple questions.
    I have CRS syndrome some of the time.

Thank you,
    Mike
    the 99-02 pi steering box has the stiffest torsion spring........that in turn stiffens up the steering, if you like pinky steer than this is not for you.

for keeping pinky steer feel and better response use the 98-02 hpp steering gear.

Leave a comment:

• 87gtVIC
    replied
    Yeah I seen the one on rock auto. Thinking about it. According to Thains link the pi's would be the ones I want. I want the steering stiff. Finding one of those nowadays would be near impossible. Decisions to be made. lol

Leave a comment:

• Lincolnmania
    replied
    new ones used to be available yrs ago, i'm out of the loop

Leave a comment:

Working...
X