AODE or 4R70W trans for 92 Gran Marq

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AODE or 4R70W trans for 92 Gran Marq

Need trans for my 4.6 92 G M daily driver.
    Near Chicago (Aurora).
    Has AODE, was told 4R70W would fit.
    65 Galaxie 500, 67 Mustang, 57 F350, 4- 77-79 LTD II, 68 LTD XL, 80 C V, 82 C V, 92 C V police, 74 P40, 92 G M
    10 yrs in Ford dealers, ASE Master Cert expired in '92, Forgot more than I remember, 15 yrs in speed shops,
    '80 Kaw KZ 1000 ST Turbo, converted to chain drive

FYI: 4r70w will technically fit, but will require swapping the torque converter lockup solenoid (remove pan... one bolt, easy swap) as that changed in 95? and the newer one will not work. Also, the electrical harness will need to be swapped. the direct replacement would be a 92 to whatever year that solenoid was changed.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks for the info!
      Need AODE!
      65 Galaxie 500, 67 Mustang, 57 F350, 4- 77-79 LTD II, 68 LTD XL, 80 C V, 82 C V, 92 C V police, 74 P40, 92 G M
      10 yrs in Ford dealers, ASE Master Cert expired in '92, Forgot more than I remember, 15 yrs in speed shops,

Comment

4R70W takes the hard wire internal harness, AODE takes soft wire...the MLPS switches are also different I think
        1987 Grand Marquis LS (GONE!)
        1990 Grand Marquis GS

I like to go fast

Comment

Oh, you meant the internal harness and not the vehicle sub harness.
          I could do that!
          I was told 4R70W has better ratios on 1st and 2nd gears.
          Still need trans.

Comment

you also need to know when your 92 was produced. Prior to 3/1992, its an AOD, which cannot be replaced with an AODE or 4R70w.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Are you sure? I thought all 4.6 liter came with AODE or later trans
              1990 Grand Marquis GS

I like to go fast

Comment

He's very sure. My 92 was built 11/91. It has an AOD trans. Easiest way to tell is to look at the throttle linkage. An AOD car will have 3 cables to it instead of 2. The third one that runs to the back is the TV cable that we all know and love/hate.
                1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

easy way to know is if you have cables opposite each other on the throttle body (two cables one side should be throttle and cruise and one cable opposite those two will be for the AOD).

If you only have cables mounted to one side of the throttle body lever, then it's an AODE.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Mine has NO TV cable. = AODE
                    After doing some research on the issue I think staying with an AODE is the best way to go
                    as this is a daily driver and not a toy I can afford to "play" with.
                    Last edited by gearheadmm; 02-25-2014, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                      easy way to know is if you have cables opposite each other on the throttle body (two cables one side should be throttle and cruise and one cable opposite those two will be for the AOD).

If you only have cables mounted to one side of the throttle body lever, then it's an AODE.

Basically what I said.
                      1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by HiFiMerc View Post
                        Basically what I said.
                        yup... didn't read everything before posting.

Comment

The only reason I ever see our customers swapping for the 4R70/75 is for racing, otherwise I wouldn't see a need either
                          1990 Grand Marquis GS

I like to go fast

Comment

Still need an AODE trans!

Comment

I know a guy in my area that may have a good used one if he wants to sell it but shipping might be a whole other deal. He's in pretty much downtown Detroit, MI. Also there's no guaranteeing a used unit will actually work well
                              1990 Grand Marquis GS

I like to go fast

Comment

Working...
                              X