Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap 4.6L Upgrades?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Cheap 4.6L Upgrades?

    So I have my little eye on a 94 towncar to replace my old one, except in the porn star red. This is what I have for the engine upgrades and was wondering if it would be worth it to do all of these modifications. Maybe to see what my expected power output would be.

    Bigger Truck TB - Used
    PI Intake Swap - $335 ADTR
    CAI - (homebrew, cold air from in between bumper and wheel well)
    Electric Fan - Used
    PI Cams - Used
    Mustang Shorties - 300
    X Pipes - 200
    Cat Delete - Cost of pipe
    Ported Plenum - Done myself
    Tune - 400?

    I would like 260 horsepower or so out of all these upgrades. Am I running into any problems that I am just not seeing? Should I wait and see if I can find a 95-97? Also where can I go for a tune on the OBD1 cars? I also plan on doing the J-Mod and a limited slip 3.55 rear gears. A wet nitrous system would eventually be added.

    #2
    if you swap on PI heads too, I don't see an issue hitting that power. You may have to run premium gas to hit that number though. With a nitrous system, you could easily reach 300hp without the PI heads. Though, the PI heads make the intake swap fit much better without having to overseal the coolant passages. There are trade-offs either way. Most any shop that tunes mustangs should be able to tune whatever 4.6L 2V you pull in there whether it has OBD-II or not. The mass air computer should be able to handle whatever you throw at it under 8K RPM (probably 7K to be safe).

    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

    Comment


      #3
      For PI intake you will need to swap to 96+ top end. That means newer throttle body, newer EGR and tube, etc.

      Shorties aren't worth it.

      Comment


        #4
        I wouldn't even waste my time upgrading a 91-95 4.6.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

        Comment


          #5
          As far as I can tell the only difference between 95 and 96 is the aluminum intake manifold and the direction in which the throttle body sits

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by sly View Post
            if you swap on PI heads too, I don't see an issue hitting that power. You may have to run premium gas to hit that number though. With a nitrous system, you could easily reach 300hp without the PI heads. Though, the PI heads make the intake swap fit much better without having to overseal the coolant passages. There are trade-offs either way. Most any shop that tunes mustangs should be able to tune whatever 4.6L 2V you pull in there whether it has OBD-II or not. The mass air computer should be able to handle whatever you throw at it under 8K RPM (probably 7K to be safe).
            Doesn't the PI heads boost up the compression ratio? Should I be worried about burnt pistons with a little shot of 75 and the increase compression ratio. I may be able to find a yard that could see me the PI heads and replace the intake manifold on them because I don't trust them per se. I'm not gung-ho about swapping engines, but the top end I could probably do.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
              For PI intake you will need to swap to 96+ top end. That means newer throttle body, newer EGR and tube, etc.

              Shorties aren't worth it.
              The truck TB takes care of the throttle body problem. What would this kit: http://www.adtr.net/store/index.php?...product_id=165 not have that I would still need to figure out?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by killgore View Post
                Doesn't the PI heads boost up the compression ratio? Should I be worried about burnt pistons with a little shot of 75 and the increase compression ratio. I may be able to find a yard that could see me the PI heads and replace the intake manifold on them because I don't trust them per se. I'm not gung-ho about swapping engines, but the top end I could probably do.
                It would definitely be better to do a whole PI swap, top to bottom. But you might be able to get 260 NA without the nitrous. Mine does 230hp/274ft-lbs and it's pretty stock except for the intake cone and exhaust. a 75 shot done right shouldn't be an issue if the car is tuned for it. Even if it isn't tuned, if the shot dumps more fuel in with it, you would probably be safe for short bursts. You're definitely going to melt most pistons if you ride the nitrous.

                Also, you will need the later plenum for the TB to intake elbow as the one on the early (92-95) intake is different. Also, the EGR tube for the later intakes will not fit your manifolds so you will have to custom make an EGR pipe like I did or use the newer manifolds with the oxygen sensors on the down pipes instead of the manifolds or plug it with an EGR delete kit.

                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Yep, PI head swap if you're gonna bother doing any of the other stuff, that'll be the biggest improvement, and definitely a tune. Get an '04 PI airbox and ziptube, or a marauder airbox and maf. There's a lot lf things you can do, most will require tuning though unfortunately. I figured I needed a positive-displacement blower on my '98 so I bought an eaton 112 cobra blower, figuring I'd use the torktech kit and be dandy. Then I found out I also needed a head swap and a bunch of other shit, so I scrapped that idea. It sure would make a beast out of the lowly 2v though. If you want an eaton blower, i'll make you a hell of a deal...

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Also for the PI instance swap, you'll need to get a different heater core return tube and nipple for the block. The intake runners are too long and the intake will not sit flush to the heads.

                    Also:
                    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Manifold-Swap

                    For reference, if needed.


                    -ryan s.
                    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                    Originally posted by pantera77
                    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                      I wouldn't even waste my time upgrading a 91-95 4.6.
                      What is different from the '95 to the '96?

                      I know the valve stem seals go bad on the early 4.6, but that's fixed with a head swap. Is it the 91-95 block, timing assembly or ....?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Intake and obdii. 98 had the real boost for the NPI with coil on plug along with the better flowing intake.

                        Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by sly View Post
                          Intake and obdii. 98 had the real boost for the NPI with coil on plug along with the better flowing intake.

                          Apart from COPs and electric fan 98' is no different than 96'-97'. Same intake.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            That changed what, 2001 ?

                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

                            91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

                            1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

                            Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

                            Comment


                              #15
                              2001 got PI motor with power increase. In 2002 or 2003 they added knock sensors.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X