X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nfldfordltd
    replied
    Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    yep, all same-same. Fits an Explorer intake too. The 1986 HO plate is the only one that wouldn't be backwards on a Panther. Its sideways, but its sideways either direction so looks less dumb. Same basic black with raised bars and script as the non-HO part is. Just in case you ever come across one and feel the need for HO badging.
    Best kind. I want to keep my original lopo cover on the HO upper.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    yep, all same-same. Fits an Explorer intake too. The 1986 HO plate is the only one that wouldn't be backwards on a Panther. Its sideways, but its sideways either direction so looks less dumb. Same basic black with raised bars and script as the non-HO part is. Just in case you ever come across one and feel the need for HO badging.

Leave a comment:

• Kodachrome Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
    I know this has likely been discussed in other threads here, but after a considerable amount of time searching for it, I have been unable to find anything so I'll just up and ask: Will the "Ford 5.0 Liter EFI" cover plate from a lopo upper intake manifold bolt on to a 87+ HO upper? Or are they a different size/require modification?
    Goes right on, no mods needed.

Leave a comment:

• nfldfordltd
    replied
    I know this has likely been discussed in other threads here, but after a considerable amount of time searching for it, I have been unable to find anything so I'll just up and ask: Will the "Ford 5.0 Liter EFI" cover plate from a lopo upper intake manifold bolt on to a 87+ HO upper? Or are they a different size/require modification?

Leave a comment:

• ZackN920
    replied
    Cool.

If I ever find the parts then I gotta do this.

Yea, I saw somewhere online here of someone posting about taking 2 simular box panthers, only difference between the 2 were the intakes. They both had the same rear gears and factory dual exhaust. Supposedly the one with the HO uppers made 10 rwhp more than the other. Torque production, unfortunately was never mentioned.

Leave a comment:

• Brown_Muscle
    replied
    Originally posted by ZackN920 View Post
    ^Do you lose any torque or power down low?

I want to do this(upper intake, throttle body, bored egr spacer) but never found the parts like I was hoping to this year at the JY.
    No, I didnít notice any power loss. Youíre gonna have a really hard time finding anything like that in a junkyard anymore. You could try the mustang sites, or on here for the parts. Mustang guys might get rid of them when they upgrade

Leave a comment:

• ZackN920
    replied
    ^Do you lose any torque or power down low?

I want to do this(upper intake, throttle body, bored egr spacer) but never found the parts like I was hoping to this year at the JY.

Leave a comment:

• Brown_Muscle
    replied
    Originally posted by AngryMcMuffin View Post
    Honestly, I just want it to be a bit more responsive. I know I won't see the difference I did on a Chevy smallblock in a '72 C10 when I went from a 2bbl to a 4bbl carb and 2.25 inch true dual exhaust. But, anything would be nice until I delegate it as the car to be taken apart. Right now that's a '77 Plymouth Volare with a (mostly) built 318 in it.

I did plugs and wires on it last night, autolite plugs so maybe they'd been changed before, but the plug wires said 1987 on them, so they were on it when the car rolled out of the factory for sure. That made it more responsive immediately.
    I'd recommend the HO upper intake and throttle body as well. It'll be a tad more responsive, but the biggest thing (in my experience), is that you'll gain some top end power that was never there before.

Leave a comment:

• mitymerc
    replied
    H, X balance the exhaust pulses for better scavaging.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    The H pipe actually flows better than straight duals, makes more torque. personally I think it sounds better but thats entirely subjective.

Leave a comment:

• AngryMcMuffin
    replied
    Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    honestly there isn't much advantage to a better intake on an otherwise stock motor. People have put Explorer intakes on and it lost low end torque without gaining much on the top end. The HO upper and throttle body is really the only thing you want to do with it. Beyond that its just money and tears until the heads are upgraded.

Removing the H pipe also doesn't do you any favors.
    Yeah, I'd eventually want to do heads, but don't want to take it that far apart right now. Kinda gathering parts/doing small stuff first.

I've never ran an H or X pipe or any kind of crossover on a v8 engine. Even in 600-700 horsepower applications, never had an issue. Besides, it gets in the way of dropping transmissions, driveshafts, etc. And no cross pipe always sounds better, people always wonder why my engines don't sound like all the rest.

Leave a comment:

• AngryMcMuffin
    replied
    Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
    You can run a stock HO upper and throttle body on your current lower (they are the same). Get your EGR spacer bored to match. Keep the stock computer and all with this setup. Don’t expect huge gains.

You can do more but with an an otherwise stock long block, it’s not much to be gained. The cam and the heads are the real bottle necks.
    Honestly, I just want it to be a bit more responsive. I know I won't see the difference I did on a Chevy smallblock in a '72 C10 when I went from a 2bbl to a 4bbl carb and 2.25 inch true dual exhaust. But, anything would be nice until I delegate it as the car to be taken apart. Right now that's a '77 Plymouth Volare with a (mostly) built 318 in it.

I did plugs and wires on it last night, autolite plugs so maybe they'd been changed before, but the plug wires said 1987 on them, so they were on it when the car rolled out of the factory for sure. That made it more responsive immediately.

Leave a comment:

• gadget73
    replied
    honestly there isn't much advantage to a better intake on an otherwise stock motor. People have put Explorer intakes on and it lost low end torque without gaining much on the top end. The HO upper and throttle body is really the only thing you want to do with it. Beyond that its just money and tears until the heads are upgraded.

Removing the H pipe also doesn't do you any favors.

Leave a comment:

• Tiggie
    replied
    You can run a stock HO upper and throttle body on your current lower (they are the same). Get your EGR spacer bored to match. Keep the stock computer and all with this setup. Don’t expect huge gains.

You can do more but with an an otherwise stock long block, it’s not much to be gained. The cam and the heads are the real bottle necks.

Leave a comment:

• AngryMcMuffin
    replied
    I already posted in another forum about an intake swap, but I haven't been able to find a solid writeup on swapping a better upper/lower/throttle body onto an otherwise stock 1987 Grand Marquis 5.0. So I thought maybe this thread would be a great place. I've still got all my smog stuff, but the tubes to the exhaust are pinched/welded shut. I just had the exhaust done and it's stock manifolds, 2 inch catless downpipes going to 2.5 inch true duals with a glasspack on each side. Ran all the way out the back.
    My stock cats were clogged, and I'll probably get headers so I can have 2.5 inch downpipes. I know the stock lopo doesn't need that. But I'd rather be ready for upgrades as I go and start from the outside in. Especially at 85k original miles.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X