No announcement yet.

Fuel line repair...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NAPA sells a EFI fuel line repair kit. its similar to the OEM style stuff.
    its high pressure plastic, kinda like heat shrink tubing but thicker. you heat it the shove it about a inch up on the metal tube, when it cools off it makes a super tight seal.
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Well, despite the good advice I fixed it the redneck way. I bought about 12 feet (too much) of 5/16" rubber hose (hey, it says up to 50 psi) and spliced it in:

1.) back where it bends to go up over the axle hump in the frame (not really any "healthy" line back there, but it didn't crumble when I used the tubing cutter, just "shed" a little bit)

2.) up at the front right by the side of the engine where it goes from steel into plastic.

A lot of cussing and swearing, rust in my eyes, frozen hands, soaked clothes and many nylon zip ties later I have the new hose installed. And so far it's leak free. I didn't run it exactly where the old line ran, instead I went on the inside of the frame rail up front. It took some cretive use of those nylon ties to hold it away from the shift linkage as well as the cat covnertors!

Total cost for this miserable project: about $100.

How, you ask? Well, of course ramps don't work worth shit on this icy stuff, so I had to go buy a floor jack being that the THREE other ones I have don't work. Pissed around with the new jack trying to get the air purged out with minimal success. I had the car up as far as it would go, tried to slide the stand over underneath the frame rail, but not high enough, so it sat right next to the car.. let the jack down to purge some more air out... KRACK! Busted the aluminum trim and the molding off of the side of the car and left a hefty scrape! It also revealed a fist-sized rust hole in the rocker, YAY for beaters! So I said "Fuck it, it's a beater!" No biggie. Eventually I got it up onto the stands, let me say Goddamn! These fuckers are heavy! Anyway, my other expenses included a $12 short radius tubing cutter, the rubber hose, the clamps, but the nylon ties were a freebie. Oh, I also neglected to mention that before I decided I needed a jack (but AFTER I'd loosened the wheel nuts) I left to go get the jack with the wheel nuts loosened. So anyway... that's the not-so-easy to understand version of the story. We'll see what happens next I guess.

Comment

Well, after one day of driving and about 60 miles, it's just above 3/4 tank. Is this decent? We'll see... I'm thinking it's leaking further back now, but I can't be sure. Come springtime I might be selling this car... too much work for what it's worth.

Comment

im glad to hear you had some success!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

i just fixed the fuel line on the passengerside(main line). it took me about 20min to complete the job! it was a peice of cake!

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Two fillups and a consistent 17.5 mpg... seems to be running lower than that recently, though, so we'll see. Hard to believe I've put over 1200 miles on this car so far.

Comment

Hard to believe I've put over 1200 miles on this car so far
                not bad for cursing and swearing at it the whole time

there wasn't a day that i didn't curse out my ol jeep, but i put 3200 omeodd miles till i killedit(not intentionally)
                Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Working...
                X